Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Miniature Dollhouse Christmas Tree - Making Your Own - Tutorial

I have tried various miniature kits to make a miniature Christmas tree.  I have found that the closest I have come to having it look real is to use preserved ground pine which I found at a local florist.
For those miniaturists that have never made one, it is quite easy. I  start with a bottle brush tree available at craft stores.  I usually trim it a bit to get the shape that I like before I start adding the pine.
Starting at the base of the tree - I use clumps of the ground pine but I measure each clump as I add it so that I get an even round at the base of the tree. 
Then, I add another few full rounds a little further up the tree.  This establishes the shape of the tree.
Then, it is a matter of filling in the rest of the tree and you are ready to light and decorate the tree.
I found some wonderful candle lights for a tree that I am working on at the moment and you can see them in a photo below. Just wrap up the battery pack and set it underneath your tree to resemble a large present.
I highly suggest that anyone that makes a tree stores it away in a box when not in a dollhouse.  I have found that the ground pine discolours if it is exposed to light for long periods of time.
Good Luck!

Finished Red, Gold and Silver Miniature Tree
Bottle Brush Tree

Measuring the Ground Pine

Establish your width at the base


Create the shape of your tree

Ready to Decorate

Silk Organza Ribbon

Candle Lights

19 comments:

  1. Your tree does look very life-like with that technique. And the decorations are marvelous! I have never seen candle lights like that --very cool.

    XOXO,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      Thanks, for the compliments! I made the decorations as well and was quite pleased with the tree. Sophia can get the lights if you are ever interested in them.
      Martha
      XO

      Delete
  2. Hi Martha,

    Great tutorial! Your tree looks lovely and the lights you found are wonderful. :-)

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Thanks for your supportive comments - always!
      See you in a couple of weeks,
      Martha

      Delete
  3. what a great tutorial thank you for sharing it :)

    Hugs
    Marisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marisa,
      I am glad that you enjoyed this post,
      Martha

      Delete
  4. I started one last year but ended up in a big mess with moulting 'pine' everywhere. Your tree is perfect and I love the silk organza ribbon in that pic, and the candle lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret,
      I hope that you persevered with your tree. The silk organza ribbon is from Mokuba which has the most wonderful ribbons!
      Martha

      Delete
  5. Hi Martha! I love the finished look of your tree! I love the way that you have hung the ornaments and strung the lights! Really pretty and very authentic!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,
      Thank you for your comments. I was quite pleased with this particular tree. Our own tree each year is a mix of treasured ornaments made by our children as well as ornaments we have collected over the years. Mini trees allow me to do "themed" trees and this one is a particular favourite!
      Martha

      Delete
  6. Hello Martha,

    I've recently joined your blog and have been delighted by reading your terrific post. I love your Christmas tree and am planing to make one for my Barton Cottage. Your tree looks amazing. Looking forward to your next post!

    All best,
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad,
      I am happy to hear that you have joined my blog recently and enjoy the posts. It really is a wonderful hobby to share!
      All the best to you,
      Martha

      Delete
  7. Hello Martha,
    I cannot thank you enough for this post. I have wanted to make Christmas trees for the Manor and this is so helpful. thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giac,
      I will look forward to see those trees in the Manor!
      Hugs back,
      Martha

      Delete
  8. So that's how you do it!!! You've inspired me to try...as with so many things in miniature.

    Now I need another trip to Mokuba!

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent tutorial, the Christmas tree looks like alive!
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh.. gracias.
    Feliz Navidad
    Un abrazo
    Maite

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where do you get the mini ribbon and balls? Thanks Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you find the mini ribbon and balls? Thanks sueray

    ReplyDelete